OIG Mission Statement
- The Office of Inspector General will:
- Conduct and supervise independent audits, fraud reviews, evaluations, and civil and criminal investigations relating to the programs and operations of the Department;
- Promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of HUD programs and operations;
- Prevent and detect fraud and abuse in such programs and operations;
- Provide a means for keeping the HUD Secretary and Congress fully informed about current problems and deficiencies; and
- Benchmark best practices and recommend corrective actions in HUD’s programs and operations.
We will strive to advance integrity, efficiency, and effectiveness in HUD programs and operations. We will look ahead for emerging trends or weaknesses that may expose the Department to risk and program inefficiencies. We will assist the Department in determining whether it is successful in achieving its goals. We will accomplish this by providing the Department and our stakeholders with innovative work products that are timely, are of high quality, and have a significant impact on improving the way HUD does business.
- Collaboration: The commitment to work jointly with the Department, our stakeholders, and Congress for the benefit of the American taxpayer.
- Accountability: The obligation and willingness to accept responsiility and to account for our actions.
- Integrity: The firm adherence to honesty and fairness in all that we do.
- Stewardship: The careful and responsible management of that which has been entrusted to our care.
- Equal Employment Opportunity: The promotion of high standards of equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants at all levels. Our management is committed and proactive in the prevention of discrimination and ensuring freedom from retaliation for participation in the equal employment opportunity process in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Promoting fiscal responsibility and financial accountability
- Strengthening the soundness of public and Indian housing
- Improving HUD’s execution of and accountability for grant funds
- Protecting the integrity of the housing insurance and guarantee programs