Certain programs in HUD’s Office of Public and Indian Housing (PIH) have long been a source of concern that we and others have not only reported on over the years but have resisted correction. To better leverage our body of work regarding these areas of concern, we are focusing our work products to spotlight long standing issues so that we may identify and develop solutions. This “Pathway to Improvement” will not only focus OIG attention on these areas but will form the foundation we use to develop and carry out a set of strategies that HUD and the Congress can use as a clearer path to correct these long-standing issues.
The following are the areas of continuing concern:
- Ethics/Governance Structure
- Housing Quality Standards
- Improper Payments
- Movement of Poorly Performing Executive Directors and other Officials from one PHA to Another
- Moving to Work
- PIH Program Oversight and Enforcement
- Procurement and Contracting
- Questionable/Ineffective Use of Administrative Funds
Our goal is to foster positive change that will improve the management of the nation’s public and assisted housing and ultimately the lives of the people who benefit from these programs. This will be a long term and continuing process that will require HUD to put forth innovative solutions and the OIG stands ready to assist where appropriate. In addition, the PHAs themselves and the organizations that represent them can play a critical role in addressing many of these concerns. Working together, we can all help to solve many of these recurring problems.
Explore our featured articles.
- Former Newark Police Officer Sentenced to Three Months In Prison for Conspiracy to Commit Public Housing Fraud, August 13, 2013
- Joliet Housing Authority CFO accused of stealing funds from CHA, August 8, 2013
- Former North Bergen Housing Official Sentenced to 46 Months in Extortion Scheme, July 23, 2013
- Abate Draws 18-month Sentence for Stealing from Poor, July 22, 2013
- Former Executive Director of Chelsea Housing Authority Sentenced, July 18, 2013
Read our latest reports and publications on Public and Indian Housing.
- HUD Had Made Progress in Reducing Oversubsidization but the Problem Continued To Exist, September 23, 2013, Report No. 2013-KC-0005
- Blair County Housing Authority Generally, June 27, 2013, Report No: 2013-PH-1004
- New Brunswick Housing Authority, June 21, 2013, Report No: 2013-NY-1007
- Idabel Housing Authority, June 21, 2013, Report No: 2013-FW-1802
- Harris County Housing Authority, June 19, 2013, Report No: 2013-FW-1006
- Office of Public and Indian Housing, June 7, 2013, Report No: 2013-HA-0002
Read our periodic advisories issued for industry professionals with information and guidance on fraud related issues and lessons learned or best practices to prevent waste, fraud, abuse and mismanagement.
From time to time we will release educational alerts to the public about rising trends or other information we uncover regarding improper practices targeting the public. Issuances may also cover tips to help HUD beneficiaries avoid violating program rules and deter such actions with impactful examples.