U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government Here’s how you know

The .gov means it’s official.

Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

The site is secure.

The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

If you are experiencing or have knowledge of a health and safety emergency involving immediate danger of physical harm to self or others, call 911 or your local law enforcement authority.
About hotline

The Hotline is the primary means to submit allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Office of Inspector General (OIG). This website is designed to allow you to provide tip information to the HUD OIG to assist with its missions as set forth in the Inspector General Act of 1978, as amended.

The HUD OIG accepts reports of fraud, serious waste, abuse or gross mismanagement in HUD or HUD-funded programs from HUD employees, contractors, and the public. For the following types of complaints about HUD or its programs, or for general questions, see the information below or contact the HUD office nearest to you.

Accpeted Reports

OIG focuses on reports of fraud or serious mismanagement with high dollar losses or significant community impact. We try to identify and combine individual reports where possible. For the types of schemes we investigate, see Common Fraud Schemes.

OIG does not investigate routine or administrative complaints that should be reported to HUD program staff, local administrators or other agencies. We also do not provide program information or become involved in day to day program administration. If your complaint is related to one of the types of items listed below, please use the links or phone numbers to raise your concern with the appropriate party.

  • Public Housing - Maintenance Issues, Housing Vouchers, Rent Calculations, Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Evictions, Troublesome Neighbors.

  • Multifamily Housing (HUD subsidized apartments) - Maintenance Issues, Rent Calculations, Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Evictions, Troublesome Neighbors.

  • Manufactured Housing (mobile homes) - Defects in the home or issues with the sale.

  • Community Planning and Development (grants) - Help with rental, homebuyer, and homeowner assistance, homelessness, and disaster assistance (unless the allegation involves theft of grant funds, or serious noncompliance with program requirements which should be reported to OIG).